- Arsenal skipper ready to leave to save World Cup DreamPosted 4 hours ago
- Wantaway England striker considers French movePosted 8 hours ago
- Manchester United veteran signs new dealPosted 8 hours ago
- Atletico Madrid star could stay despite £54million release clausePosted 1 day ago
- Pellegrini looks to bring Isco and Napoli star to Etihad in £50m scoopPosted 2 days ago
Chelsea to challenge Newcastle for Debuchy
- Updated: June 18, 2012
The £6 million rated right full back has seen his stock rise considerably in the last 10 days after a series of impressive performances for Les Bleus at Euro 2012.
He was expected to join Alan Pardew’s side after the tournament’s conclusion but Roman Abramovich are now hoping to nip in and persuade Debuchy to join Chelsea instead of the Magpies.
After signing Lille teammate Eden Hazard the start of June the Russian oligarch is hoping that, along with the allure of Champions League football, will give him leverage to convince the 26-year-old his future lies at Stamford Bridge.
Finding a right back is at the top of Abramovich’s priority list after the departure of Jose Boswinga on a free transfer and Branislav Ivanovic’s preference to play at the heart of the defence.
Ajax’s Gregory van der Wiel was reportedly the Blues’ main target to fill the problem position but his sub-standard displays for Holland at the Euro’s have quelled any interest in acquiring his services.
Debuchy now appears to have leaped to the front of Chelsea’s shopping list but declared last week that he won’t discuss his future until after the Euro’s.
He was quoted by L’Equipe as saying: ”Right now, I’m focused on the Euros. I have wishes, but we will discuss them later.”