- Ivanovic and Luiz eye Chelsea door, Bale close to Real deal, wait for Ronaldo decisionPosted 5 days ago
- Graxler to fill Mata void at Chelsea, Clement Grenie interests GunnersPosted 7 days ago
- Tuesday gossip: Man Utd chasing Cabaye while Arsenal renew interest in BaPosted 8 days ago
- Fabregas in Manchester Talks, Sneijder looks to BridgePosted 8 days ago
- Arsenal Move for Real striker, Mourinho closes in on De Rossi, Moyes eyes Newcastle midfielderPosted 9 days ago
Liverpool linked with move for Fiorentina winger Vargas
- Updated: June 27, 2012
The new Anfield chief is set to make his first moves in the transfer market since taking over from Kop legend Kenny Dalglish earlier this month and has been heavily linked with Hoffenheim midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson.
However it’s emerged that Rodgers is lining up an offer for the Peru international Vargas after he was linked with a move away from the Viola this summer.
The Reds are likely to face competition for his signature with Primera Liga side Malaga rumoured to be monitoring the 28-year-old who has a year remaining on his contract in Florence.
And agent Jorge Cyterszpiler did admit that the Merseysider club were ‘an option’ for Vargas when speaking to www.tuttomercatoweb.com.
“There is the possibility that he (Vargas) will leave Fiorentina,” He said
“But at this time it’s just a rumour and there is nothing official. He didn’t have the best best of seasons and he needs to make up for it next season.
“Liverpool is an option, but there is also Malaga that has the fascination of playing in next season’s Champions League.
“Does he have a preference with regards to playing the Premier League or the Primera Liga? Vargas likes both leagues as well as the Serie A.”
Vargas has spent the past four years with Fiorentina after joining from fellow Italian side Catania for €12 million and made 24 league appearances last season.
He has more than 30 caps for his country and has proved his versatility down the years operating at left-back or as a left-sided attacking midfielder.
Should he move to Liverpool he compete with England international Stewart Downing for a spot on the wing with Rodgers keen to ensure his squad has enough strength in depth prior to the new season.