- Chelsea v Steaua Bucharest Odds : Pressure on Mourinho as away side too big to ignore in Champions League
- Napoli v Arsenal Odds : Back the Gunners to take the spoils in Champions League clash in Naples
- Swansea v Hull Odds : 4/1 on away win looking too big to miss at Liberty
- Liverpool v West Ham odds : Can the Reds score another 5 goals? firm announces 7/1 they will
- Arsenal v Everton Odds : 7/1 on Arsenal home win attracting flurry of activity at Emirates
Liverpool linked with move for Fiorentina winger Vargas
- Updated: June 27, 2012
The new Anfield chief is set to make his first moves in the transfer market since taking over from Kop legend Kenny Dalglish earlier this month and has been heavily linked with Hoffenheim midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson.
However it’s emerged that Rodgers is lining up an offer for the Peru international Vargas after he was linked with a move away from the Viola this summer.
The Reds are likely to face competition for his signature with Primera Liga side Malaga rumoured to be monitoring the 28-year-old who has a year remaining on his contract in Florence.
And agent Jorge Cyterszpiler did admit that the Merseysider club were ‘an option’ for Vargas when speaking to www.tuttomercatoweb.com.
“There is the possibility that he (Vargas) will leave Fiorentina,” He said
“But at this time it’s just a rumour and there is nothing official. He didn’t have the best best of seasons and he needs to make up for it next season.
“Liverpool is an option, but there is also Malaga that has the fascination of playing in next season’s Champions League.
“Does he have a preference with regards to playing the Premier League or the Primera Liga? Vargas likes both leagues as well as the Serie A.”
Vargas has spent the past four years with Fiorentina after joining from fellow Italian side Catania for €12 million and made 24 league appearances last season.
He has more than 30 caps for his country and has proved his versatility down the years operating at left-back or as a left-sided attacking midfielder.
Should he move to Liverpool he compete with England international Stewart Downing for a spot on the wing with Rodgers keen to ensure his squad has enough strength in depth prior to the new season.