- Ivanovic and Luiz eye Chelsea door, Bale close to Real deal, wait for Ronaldo decisionPosted 6 days ago
- Graxler to fill Mata void at Chelsea, Clement Grenie interests GunnersPosted 7 days ago
- Tuesday gossip: Man Utd chasing Cabaye while Arsenal renew interest in BaPosted 8 days ago
- Fabregas in Manchester Talks, Sneijder looks to BridgePosted 8 days ago
- Arsenal Move for Real striker, Mourinho closes in on De Rossi, Moyes eyes Newcastle midfielderPosted 10 days ago
Man City to renew interest in Bilbao star Javi Martinez
- Updated: July 9, 2012
The Basque club are currently reeling from the departure of manager Marcelo Bielsa last week following an altercation with a construction employee at the club’s training ground.
Fresh doubts have now crept in over 23-year-old’s future following Bielsa’s resignation and the confusion surrounding the club despite the versatile midfielder stating that he would remain at the San Mames next term.
And Mancini wants to capitalise on their current situation by reigniting his interest in long-term target Martinez as he looks to bolster his squad ahead of the upcoming 2012/13 campaign.
Bilbao’s £32 million (€40m) valuation of the Spain international has already deterred Bayern Munich and Barcelona but the 47-year-old is convinced Martinez would prove to be a solid investment for the Premier League champions.
The Italian has had the former Osasuna man – who can also play at centre back – heavily scouted and believes he possesses the necessary physical and technical strengths to flourish in the top-flight.
Mancini will be able to take a closer look at Martinez, who previously drew interest from rivals Manchester United, when he represents his country at the Olympics in London next month.
The ex-Inter Milan coach is also chasing a new striker and is set to step up his chase for Arsenal frontman Robin Van Persie after revealing he won’t renew his contract at the Emirates Stadium on Wednesday.
Winning the Champions League and retaining their domestic crown are the objectives for Mancini next season and he sees Van Persie as the man to deliver both.
The Holland international has a year left on his current deal and looks certain to leave North London with City rumoured to be lining up a £20m bid.