Everton on red alert after Johnson hints at Man City exit
- Updated: August 17, 2012
Johnson has endured an indifferent spell at the Etihad Stadium since arriving from Middlesbrough in 2012 showing flashes of his ability but never managing to nail down a regular spot in Roberto Mancini’s starting lineup.
The 25-year-old also missed out on the England squad for Euro 2012 earlier this year due to his lack of game time but played the full 90 minutes for the Three Lions in the win over Italy on Wednesday.
Despite winning the title with City last season he hasn’t started a Premier League game since March and with two years left on his contract admits he may be forced to consider his future.
“I’m the kind of player that needs to be playing regularly. Any player does really, no matter what age they are,” he said.
“I need to play week-in week-out. You can’t just go into one game after not having played for five and be expected to perform.
“Like I said, it would be nice to get a run of games with England but I’m not sure if I’ll get that chance at City. Time will tell.”
Everton boss David Moyes is a huge admirer of Johnson and was reportedly given first refusal on a loan deal by City after two clubs completed a deal for Jack Rodwell last week.
Liverpool, Fulham and West Ham are interested in taking the former Boro youngster on a permanent basis but it’s believed the Toffees have jumped to the front of the queue for his signature.
After backing £17 million from the sale of Rodwell at the weekend Moyes also hopes to beat Arsenal to the signing of Olympiakos striker Kevin Mirallas after he revealed he wants to move to Goodison Park.