Chelsea

Atletico Madrid star could stay despite £54million release clause

Radamel Falcao has hinted that he is happy to stay at Atletico Madrid, despite rumours linking him with a summer move to the Premier League.

It has been speculated that Chelsea are tracking the Colombian, whilst Manchester City and Monaco are also rumoured to be interested. However, he says he is ready to stay at the club and will only move if they decide to sell him.

The former Porto star is under contract with Atletico Madrid until 2016, however he has a £54million release clause on his contract but he insists he hasn’t considered a move away from the club.

Falcao said, “I haven’t thought about a move too much.”

“The reality is that I have three years left on my contract with Atletico.

He went on to say, “It’s true that last season during the summer there was a lot of speculation with clubs being named as a possible destination, but the truth is that I’ve not thought about it.

“Of course, it depends on what the financial needs of my club are and what sort of efforts Atletico make to keep me.

“I’ve been trying not to think too much about the rumours of clubs being linked with me.

“Instead, I’ve been focusing on my objectives as a player and as a team member of Atletico Madrid.”

However, Atletico’s chief executive said on Tuesday that it is up to the Striker whether he moves or not and can leave for the right price.

Miguel Angel Gil-Marin said, “Before the start of the season we spoke with Falcao and promised him that if he kept up the same performances and helped us to qualify for the Champions League, Atletico would help him,”

“Whatever decisions he makes, Atletico will be with him.”

With Jose Mourinho set to be named Chelsea manager in the coming weeks, it is believed he has set his sights on bringing Falcao away from the Spanish Capital with him to Stamford Bridge.

Meanwhile Manchester City are also believed to be keeping their eye’s on the 27-year-old who scored 28 goals in 33 league games, as they are rumored to be ready to let Carlos Tevez to move on to Monaco.

Although, Monaco are also confident of bringing Falcao to the newly promoted French club, as Assistant Manager Jean Patit claims talks are underway.

Patit said on Radio RCN, “We are expecting Falcao and four or five other players of his quality,” he told Radio RCN.

“We have spoken and we continue to speak with Falcao and his representatives, negotiations are ongoing. We hope to seal a deal as soon as possible.”

Chelsea have tracked Falcao since his days at Porto, but missed on the Columbian international when he joined Atletico for €47million in 2011.

However since then Chelsea have not had the best of luck with strikers as Fernando Torres and Demba Ba have not been able to fill the gap left by Didier Drogba.

With Mourinhos imminent arrival, Chelsea are expected to bring in some big names over the summer, with Falcao being one of their most wanted.

 

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

To Top