Barca Boss not worried over Fabregas speculation

New Barcelona manager Gerardo Martino has spoken with confidence that Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas will remain a player at the club, despite the speculation of a possible departure to Manchester United who have had two bids for the player rejected.

Speaking after Wednesday’s comfortable 7-1 pre-season victory over Thailand, the Argentinian said:  “Fabregas is still our player and he will be with us for this season.”

This hasn’t hampered a litany of players and even managers giving their opinions on where they think the player will spend the 2013-14  season,  Arsene Wenger stepped into the debate this week, saying:  “Fábregas will stay one more year, at least, in Barcelona.  That’s the information I have.  If that changes, I don’t know. But that’s what I’ve been told.”

Javier Mascherano, Alex Song and David De Gea have all waded in with their opinions.  Most tellingly though, Fabregas has not spoken publicly on the matter.  But if Barcelona fans were looking for reassurance, they might well have found it in their new manager’s comments.

Martino said earlier on this week on the situation:  “I have spoken with Cesc and he told me what he thought.  The idea of not counting on him doesn’t enter my mind, but the player also has to decide.  I dare to say that he will stay.”  What stands out here is that the former Paraguay manager states he has spoken to the player, but he doesn’t expand on what the content of the conversation that took place was.

Meanwhile Manchester United have entered into talks with Everton over signing Leighton Baines and Belgian forward Marouane Fellaini.  This could be an indication that the Premier league champions are possibly accepting that a move for the former Arsenal player is not going to come to fruition, despite their best efforts.

David Moyes will be under pressure to make signings of considerable ilk before the new season starts and more so before the transfer window closes.  With the weight of expectation on the Scottish manager, he will be looking to add depth to a squad that might well be a title winning side, but are still not one of the most robust and talented they have had available over the past two decades.

Fabregas would obviously add to to the strength and depth of the squad but the feeling is beginning to fester that after all the excitement surrounding a possible move for such a highly regarded player, Fabregas will stay in Spain and Moyes will have to try another approach to energise United’s title defence.

 

 

 

Brian is a sports journalist with over 5 years experience of writing on all things soccer. Resides in Dublin, Ireland.

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply