Luis Suarez has reignited speculation that he will leave Liverpool this summer despite recent quotes attributed to the Uruguayan that he had accepted that his future lay at Anfield with special mention made of the club’s fans.
“For now, due to all of the people’s affection, I will be staying,” Suárez was reported as having said, prompting an end to the saga linking him to Arsenal.
The South American journalist Martin Charquero, who is close to the Liverpool striker, also tweeted: “Luis Suárez confirms to me that he will not leave Liverpool. The recent support of the fans influenced his decision. Suárez sees it as likely that he’ll sign a renewal to the contract that binds him to Liverpool.”
After Uruguay’s 4-2 win over Japan in Tokyo last night though the striker said that he had made no such statement, “I didn’t say that, maybe someone else did,” he was quoted as saying to Japan’s Kyodo News. “The main thing is that I am here now with the national team.”
The player will return to Merseyside before the season opener against Stoke this Saturday and manager Brendan Rodgers will meet with him so as to ascertain how focussed he is to starting the season with Liverpool as the club remain adamant that he will not leave this window.
Despite fans’ relief at the statement that he would be remaining with the club, officals at Liverpool have not received any word from the player or his agent Pere Guardiola that he is prepared to end his quest for a move to a Champions League club leading Rodgers to seek an assurance over his commitment to the club’s opening fixtures.
Liverpool officials may have to placate Suarez with a new contract which expressly stipulates that he can leave next summer for a set fee after a supposed misunderstanding by Surez and Guardiola that any bid in excess of £40million this summer was enough to see him depart.
The belief that a bid of £40,000,001 would release him from his contract prompted Arsenal’s most recent offer but Liverpool rejected it causing Suarez to express a feeling of betrayal by the club.
Fenway Sports Group are also concentrating on bringing in a big name signing to show their ambition and build on last season’s results but have failed to tempt both Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Diego Costa so far this summer.
The club are awaiting news from Anzhi Makhachkala about Willian but have yet to make a formal offer for the player.