Real Madrid will offer £85million for Tottenham Hotspur’s Gareth Bale after agreeing a six year deal with the player’s agents worth £8.5million a year to the player according to reports in Spain.
Spanish press are reporting that a meeting took place between Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett and Madrid officials including president Florentino Perez the club’s director general José Angel Sánchez during which personal terms were agreed.
Real’s move for Bale has been anticipated all summer but the club are only now beginning to put their plan into action by entering into negotiations with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, who they are aware is a tough man to strike a deal with, a fact evidenced by their expectations that the process will be ‘long and tedious’.
Perez said earlier in the summer that he would be willing to break the bank to bring Bale to the Bernabeu but that he didn’t want to tarnish the club’s relationship with Spurs by discussing details of the deal.
“For those players and investments that generate and produce income, you can give everything in life,” Perez told Marca. “But we don’t speak of Bale so much because he plays at a friendly club to us and they will be annoyed if we speak. I know their chairman well and he doesn’t like these things.”
Spurs were hoping to hold onto Bale for another season as they look to crack the Champions League but Levy may be moved to accept an offer this summer if he believes that it is as high as he will get for the Welsh winger.
It was expected that Bale would agree an improved contract with the North Londoners for the year with a gentlemen’s agreement that he could move on for the right price next year but there has been no movement so far on any such change in terms.
Manager Andre Villas-Boas is confident that Spurs will retain Bale for another season and said during the teams preseason trip to Hong Kong that his lack of involvement in this Thursday’s friendly with Sunderland is not an indication that he will be departing White Hart Lane this summer.
“I want to repeat what I was telling you last season and what I was telling you from the beginning of pre-season so I cannot extend myself,” the Portuguese manager said.
“He is a player that we are willing to continue to have, he’s a Tottenham player, he’s one of the most fantastic players in the world at the moment and we are counting on him for the future.”